Recipe by Anne and Donna of Apron Strings.
Cheesy, creamy and warm! Try this Zucchini Green Onion Custard for your next Meatless Monday…
This creamy dish combines sweet bell pepper with smoky Gouda and zucchini. Try experimenting with different veggies for new takes on this savory custard as the seasons change.
Try to find organic canola oil for this recipe, as almost all conventional canola in the U.S. is genetically modified (GMO), making it one of the most important items to buy organic—along with dairy, meat, eggs and the dirty dozen (plus).
If you need some help finding good quality ingredients for your healthy recipes, did you know that there was an app for that?!
And now for the recipe…
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 2 ounces Gouda cheese, grated
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, add the bell pepper, zucchini and green onions and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook 1 minute more, or until it begins to become fragrant.
- Remove skillet from heat and transfer even amounts of the sautéed veggies to 6 ramekins.
- Top with equal amounts of the Gouda.
- Return the skillet to heat and add the milk.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, or until bubbles form around the edges.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Whisk the eggs, egg whites and salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Add the milk parmesan mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour even amounts of the egg milk mixture into each ramekin.
- Place the ramekins into a baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pans until it sits 1 inch up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until the custards are almost set in the middle.
- Let stand 10 minutes and enjoy.
- Calories 161.2
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 112.0 mg
- Sodium 347.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 12.2 g
Listen to the latest Green Divas Foodie-Philes podcast for more about good food…
~Asst. Ed. Green Diva Christine