Ok, who among us doesn’t love a luscious NON-TOXIC foaming hand soap? There are some great natural brands out there making great non-toxic, healthy and velvety foaming hand soaps. I recommend going to EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database page on liquid hand soaps (which does include foaming soaps) if you want to buy some. For a 10oz. container prices range from $4 – $10.
Please consider using the non-toxic versions for several reasons, not the least of which is that the regular commercial brands tend to have things like triclosan in them, which is a nasty endocrine inhibitor that is bad for us and very bad for our water systems and the creatures that encounter it in the environment. And that’s just ONE of the known icky things we should be wary of.
Last year I stumbled upon a number of recipes for DIY non-toxic foaming soap, so I saved a few of the foaming soap dispensers I had and made my own! It is definitely cheaper and everyone in the household loves it and screams bloody murder when it runs out. I was shocked just how easy it is, and I really like knowing exactly what is in my soap, especially since I’m a little bit of an obsessive hand-washer!
I spent time calculating the cost of the ingredients, which you will see below and did some fancy math and figured it costs about $2.00 to make your own (this cost does not include any new foaming dispenser expense, which if you refill a few times pays for itself anyway).
Watch Green Diva Meg’s fun 1 GD Minute video tutorial . . .
Green Diva Meg’s Non-Toxic DIY Foaming Hand Soap
What You Need
- Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Baby Mild Castile Liquid Soap or Dr. Bronner’s Lavender Castile Liquid Soap
- Tea Tree Oil (I used doTerra Melaleuca)
- Organic Lavender Essential Oil
- About 8 oz. good clean water
What to do
In a 10oz. foaming soap container, mix:
- 1/4 cup of the Dr. Bronner’s
- about 1/4 capful or about 10 drops of the tea tree oil
- if you are using Unscented Baby Mild Castile Soap – 6 drops of lavender oil (or organic scented oil of your choice!
- if you are using the Lavender Castile Liquid Soap – 3 drops of lavender oil
- add clean water to almost the top, leaving room for the pump works to fit in without overflowing (we have a great filtration system in our house that remineralizes and corrects the alkalinity after reverse osmosis, but whatever filtered water you feel good about)
- Giver er a shake and voila!
Listen to the latest Green Divas Health & Beauty podcast . . .
You can also catch a full hour of Green Divas Health & Beauty on GDGD Radio every day @ 9am ET!
[dynamic-sidebar id=’Custom Widget 2′]