Recipe by Amy, Cooking with Amy.
Skip the pecan pie this holiday season with this Grapefruit Radicchio Salad recipe!
Pecans are candied in a skillet with caramelized sugar, then seasoned slightly savory with smoked paprika and salt. These salty sweet nuts are the perfect accent to sit atop this salad of hearty cabbage, spicy radicchio and tart grapefruit. What a great way to satisfy that holiday sweet tooth!
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups radicchio, shredded
- 1 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Toss the pecans with the sugar and 1 teaspoon of water in a small bowl. Transfer the
- pecans to a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3
- minutes, or until the sugar gets very brown. Take the pan off of heat and sprinkle with the
- smoked paprika and a pinch of salt. Stir well, taking care to ensure the nuts are separated,
- and let the pecans cool in the pan.
- Toss the radicchio and cabbage together in a medium sized bowl. Peel the grapefruit with
- a knife. Cut between the membranes to remove only the segments and drop the grapefruit
- segments into the bowl.
- Squeeze the remaining grapefruit juice from the membranes and peel onto the cabbage
- and grapefruit segments. Add the olive oil and vinegar to the cabbage and grapefruit,
- taking care to toss to ensure the dressing is evenly distributed.
- Divide the salad into 4 servings, top with the candied pecans and enjoy!
- Calories 141.5
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
Be sure to check out our Foodie collection of great recipes, fun food facts and new ideas. We love Meatless Mondays, and hope you love our recipes as much as we do!
Listen to the latest Green Divas Foodie-Philes podcast for more yummy and healthy food ideas…
Asst. Ed. ~Green Diva Christine.