Recipe by Cara and Phoebe of Big Girls, Small Kitchen.
This Meatless Monday recipe is a delicious modern-day take on ratatouille.
Eggplant is sautéed with zucchini, squash and tomatoes and seasoned with garlic, red pepper and balsamic vinegar. The rice orzo provides a slightly crispy base as the ratatouille is baked golden in the oven.
- 1 pound orzo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 squash, quartered and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 15oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- ¼ cup Parmesan, grated
- ¼ cup fontina cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook the orzo according to the package directions, or until it reaches al dente.
- Reserve ½ cup of the cooking liquid, drain and set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion for 3-5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the eggplant and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until the eggplant has begun to soften.
- Toss in the zucchini and squash and cook for another 3 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Add the garlic, balsamic vinegar and tomatoes with their juices to the skillet.
- Season with red pepper flakes and salt to taste.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and allow the squash tomato mixture to reduce for a minute or two, until some of the tomatoes’ acidity has softened to preference.
- Add the cooked orzo and the reserved cooking liquid. Stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Preheat the broiler and smooth the surface of the orzo mixture in the skillet.
- Cover the orzo ratatouille evenly with the Parmesan and fontina cheese.
- Place the skillet in the oven for about five minutes, or until the cheese has melted and begun to brown.
- Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 387.6
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Trans Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 113.3 mg
- Potassium 680.5 mg
- Magnesium 74.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 15.0 g
If you have a Meatless Monday recipe you’d like to share, please submit it to lynn @ TheGreenDivas.com!
And this Green Divas Radio Show podcast features Terra Wellington, who talks about easy ways to transition to a more veggie-based diet—NO, she isn’t saying you have to go vegan or even vegetarian, just eat more healthy veggies!