By Michele C. Hollow of Pet News and Views
Thinking of going green? Maybe you already live a green lifestyle. How about your pets? You can raise eco-friendly pets by following these 10 simple steps.
1. Do you have a recycled dog or cat? The first step to going green is adopting a cat, kitten, dog, or puppy from your local animal shelter or rescue group. You can even find purebreds at your local shelter. Between four and five million dogs and cats are put down each year at animal shelters across the country. Imagine the good you will do for the dog or cat you adopt from a shelter.
2. Spay or neuter your pets. It’s a good way to reduce the pet overpopulation problem.
3. Buy pet foods that are all natural or organic.
4. Cook for your pets. If you eat meat and vegetables, share with your pets. Cats are carnivores and need to eat meat. Dogs are omnivores, but do better with a meat based diet. You can supplement their diet with raw carrots, and avoid snacks. For more on dog diets, click here
5. Purchase toys, food bowls, pet beds, and other pet products that are made with natural, organic, or recycled materials. With pet toys, give your pets one at a time. Your dog or cat may have a “special” toy. Too many toys around the house often wind up ignored. So, take out that special toy and play with your pet.
6. Buy biodegradable poop bags, and always clean up after your dogs.
7. For cats, use a biodegradable litter made out of corn kernels, pine, or recycled newspaper.
8. Use eco-friendly cleaning products that don’t have chemicals.
9. Recycle cardboard boxes. Cats love to hide and play inside of them.
10. Buy close to home, and purchase products that don’t have to be replaced often.
Pet News and Views covers pet care, pet lifestyle topics, and the positive side of animal welfare.