Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 9.24.11 show
GREEN DIVA LINKS
The Green Divas on Facebook
The Green Divas on iTunes
The Green Divas on WMTR
GUEST GREEN DIVA: Author, Michele Hollow – Pet News & Views
Michele says that the two most important things to think about when considering how pets can be green are:
1. Recyled pets – Adopt animals at your local shelters and rescues. 20% of all the animals in shelters are pure bred. And if you can’t find what you are looking for, go online. There is a rescue group for almost every bred.
2. Get your pets spayed or neutered – That is the greenest thing we can all do for the planet and the animals!
Michele has two new books out:
- The Everything Guide to Working with Animals a great book for exploring great jobs for animal lovers
- Animal Jokes to Tickle Your Funny Bone for kids in about 4th grade. In the back of the book is a guide to teach kids how to make up their own jokes.
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This fun, new weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week will discuss an entry from the hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment – SNiG#3: Eco-Bamboo?
Today’s tip: Use eco-friendly cutting board.
Bamboo cutting board – is it really eco-friendly?
The good bits:
- It takes between three and five years to be ready to harvest, compared to 30-50 years for its hardwood counterparts
- It produces more oxygen than a forest of comparable size
- Prevents erosion
- It can grow without pesticides or chemicals
- It is totally degradable and regenerates on its own
The potentially bad bits:
- manufacturing process that converts it to usable material isn’t good
- flooring for example: has to go through tons of steaming or fires in a kiln – energy-intensive
- some flooring manufacturers use formaldehyde adhesives
- the creation of bamboo fabric is more disturbing and for another segment . . .but when looking for bamboo fabric look for Litrax from Sweden which makes it’s fabric in a much friendlier process
Other GD ideas for a green diva kitchen
- use cloth napkins
- non-toxic, biodegradable cleaners
- sponges & dish clothes
- reduce food packaging
- but recycle what you get
- buy local as much as possible
- remember re-usable bags when shopping
FUN GREEN DIVA STUFF TO KNOW: