Looking for a naturally refreshing drink this summer?
It’s that time of year. The lavender is in full bloom and my family is bugging me to make my lavender lemonade. I stumbled upon this recipe a few years ago, and just as the weather became hot and steamy, my lavender plants answered the call with abundant blooms. Wherever I’ve lived, I’ve always had lavender in my garden. I have a few varieties and they are timed so that they bloom at slightly different times, which means we are able to make lavender lemonade throughout much of the summer.
For this recipe, it is best to try to grab the lavender just before the buds bloom into flowers — when they are at their most fragrant.
Watch this fun video tutorial that my daughter Mary Rousseau assistant produced with me on a recent gorgeous summer morning…
Lavender Lemonade Recipe
what you need
lavender flowers from about 30 stalks (if you don’t have access to fresh lavender, you can purchase food-grade lavender and use about 6 tablespoons)
6 cups water
2 cups sugar
juice of 4 lemons
1 lemon, thinly sliced for garnish
what to do
- put the 6 cups of water in a large pan with the 2 cups of sugar and bring to a boil.
- meantime, rinse the lavender and cut off the excess stalks/stems.
- when the water reaches a boil, turn it off – take it off the heat and add the lavender flowers and let sit and cool to about room temperature.
- then add lemon juice to the flavored water and stir thoroughly.
- strain out lavender flowers and reserve them for garnish along with the lemon slices.
- do not add ice until you serve or you will water it down.
MORE FUN THINGS TO DO WITH LEMONS…
Please check out our YouTube channel to see our short, funny and useful 1 GD Minute videos with recipes and DIY tutorials. Here’s a recent one…
And if you want to learn more about the content of this video, please read the corresponding post!
June 10, 2016 at 4:31 pm
Thank you so much for this…I just read a book last night and they made this so I wanted to find a recipe..now you saved me from endless searching for one….saving this..
Green Diva Meg
June 10, 2016 at 4:39 pm
funny how that happens Renee . . . no accidents, right? glad it was well-timed. enjoy!