My latest culinary obsession—preserved lemons.
Green Diva Lisa stumbled up on this Moroccan delight that is found in most french kitchens, and will now always be found in mine.
If you are looking for an immediate fix, this is not the place, but as we all know good things take a bit of time to cultivate—at least 3 weeks in this case.
Watch our quick, fun GD Video tutorial and see how it’s done, then see below for more written details.
Here’s a simple recipe for preserved lemons
What you need
4 – 6 organic lemons
several tablespoons of good sea salt
optional ingredients: coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, pepper corns, a bay leaf, cloves*
8 oz. glass jar w/ good lid
What to do
- wash the lemons
- cut the ends off the lemons
- quarter the lemon, but DO NOT CUT ALL THE WAY THROUGH!
- salt the bottom of the jar w/ about 1 teaspoon of the salt
- open the lemon and salt the interior liberally
- press the open side down into the jar firmly allowing juices to release
- add more salt
- repeat, packing each lemon down firmly until the jar is full
- if needed top off the jar w/ extra lemon juice making sure the lemons are fully covered
- put the top on firmly and shake it up!
- shake and turn over daily for one week
- then let sit for at least 3 total weeks (you are waiting for the rinds to get saturated and soft)
*If using optional ingredients, in most cases you can mix it in with the salt.
NOTES: you do not need to refrigerate and it will stay good for at least a year.
These little bits of yumminess can be added to a variety of dishes including soups, stews, salads, dressings, marinades . . . get creative, it’s foodie fantastic fun. Here are a mess of GD recipes to try with preserved lemons added.
MORE FUN THINGS TO DO WITH LEMONS…
Please check out our YouTube channel to see our short, funny and useful 1 GD Minute videos with recipes and DIY tutorials. Here’s a recent one…
And if you want to learn more about the content of this video, please read the corresponding post!
Listen to the latest podcasts from The Green Divas …