Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 12.17.11 show
GREEN DIVA LINKS
THE ECO FRIENDLY PRINTER “KNOW YOUR GREEN” QUIZ:
Join the Green Divas and our friends at Eco-Friendly Printer and take the weekly KNOW YOUR GREEN QUIZ. A new prize awarded every week! Go to our Facebook page find the quiz and weigh in with your answer. The quiz will run from Saturday to Saturday. We’ll draw a winner from all the correct answers and announce the winner on our live show on WMTR from 10-11am EST every Saturday.
Congratulations to this week’s winner, Margery Dieball, who will receive a one year membership to Zipcar!
Next Week’s Quiz Question and LOTS more . . .
NEXT WEEK’S QUESTION:
Quiz #4 for the 12.31.11 show is: What is Green E?
a. Energy that is produced from wind
b. Energy that comes from methanol in landfills
c. Energy that comes from solar power
d. All of the above
Play your answer on the Green Divas facebook page!
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment – SNiG #13 – Buy Dry Beans in Bulk
According to the FDA, we create 80 MILLION TONS of waste directly related to packaging and containers every year!
Obviously, buying in bulk helps reduce packaging waste.
Join a food Coop!
- Storefront coops usually have a good variety of bulk foods including:
- Nuts & Seeds
- Herbs & Spices
- Liquid Cleaning Products
- Find or create a local coop or buying club in your neighborhood!
Organize a bulk buy with your small coop or buying club and divide larger bags of items
Arm yourself with the right containers to gather and store your bulk items
- Re-usable non-plastic bulk bags
- Sealed glass jars are better than plastic
Some hints for bulk food buying
- Remember to weigh your container before you fill it, so they can deduct it when weighing at the register!
- Most coops provide stickers and pencils so you can write the price per pound or the weight before you get to the register.
- Use your common sense – if the bins don’t look clean or the food in the bins is discolored or funky, don’t do it. Most storefronts are good about keeping their bulk food bins clean, but it’s good to be careful.
GD LISA’S TAKE TWO: More awesome earth-friendly holiday ideas
Full details check the GD Lisa’s blog post about greener wrapping and this GD Lisa’s blog post about last-minute holiday gift ideas.
Best of all, shope @ The Green Divas online store where some of our favorite items are on sale from BuyGreen.com. Their sustainable rating system makes it easy to make the best choice for you and the planet.
FEATURED GUEST: Jeff Yeager, author The Ultimate Cheapskate
Rated among the top 12 Financial Guru’s of 2011, along with Warren Bufett and Suze orman! Vote for Jeff to show the world that saving money can be green!
How does The Ultimate Cheapskate celebrate the holidays? He likes to stay away from consumerism. Jeff said that that we spend $400 Billion on holiday gifts every year, that’s an average of $800 per adult.
- Be creative rather than spending a lot of money, for example have your family friends and yourself only shop at the dollar store.
- Re-gifting is ok, if you aren’t going to use something give it to someone who you think will appreciate it.
- Volunteer your time rather buying more stuff to get back into the true holiday spirit of giving.
- Go through old photos and frame them for family members.
- Holiday tipping – great list from AARP
AARP – Check out Jeff’s Blog on AARP about tipping for the holidays.
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)