Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 12.10.11 show
GREEN DIVA LINKS
THE ECO FRIENDLY PRINTER “KNOW YOUR GREEN” QUIZ:
Join the Green Divas and our friends at Eco-Friendly Printer and take the weekly KNOW YOUR GREEN quiz. A new prize awarded every week! Go to our Facebook page find the quiz and weigh in with your answer. The quiz will run from Saturday to Saturday. We’ll draw a winner from all the correct answers and announce the winner on our live show on WMTR from 10-11am EST every Saturday.
This week’s winner was Daniela Graca, who got the answer to last week’s quiz, which was: What does PCW Paper mean? is the definition of recycled paper? The answer is: b. paper made from 30% PCW paper. She won a $100 gift certificate to the Eco-Friendly Printer – Congrats Daniela!
NEXT WEEK’S QUESTION & LOTS MORE . . .
Quiz #3 for the 12.17.11 show is (winner will get a year-long membership to zipcars!)
What does FSC stand for?
- Forest Services Council
- Forestry Safety Conservation
- Forest Service Conservation
- Forest Stewardship Council
Post your answer on the Green Divas facebook page!
GREEN DIVA CORRESPONDENT: Dr. Heather Eves, Washington, DC
Heather is working on green home improvements and found Greendcdaily.com. They have lots of information about different green projects and green retro-fitting of older buildings going on in our nation’s capital.
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment – SNiG #12 – Make Your Own Cosmetics & Skincare Products
- Average woman uses 12 personal care products daily
- Average man uses 6 personal care products daily
- EACH PRODUCT CONTAINS A DOZEN OR MORE CHEMICALS – many which are toxic!
- The Average woman exposes herself to over 167 chemicals on her body and face during her daily beauty regimine!
- Over 80,000 chemicals used in personal care products in the US – ONLY 200 OF THEM ARE TESTED FOR SAFETY!
The chemicals used in these products aren’t only bad for those who use them, but they are bad for the people who work every day to manufacture them and they end up in the environment also.
A few common toxic chemicals found in every day personal care products
- MORE . . . cosmeticdatabase.com
These chemicals are known to cause things like:
- Neuro-developmental Disorders
- Lung Tumors
- Liver & Kidney Tumors
- Genital Abnormalities
- Lowered Sperm Count
Excellent short videos:
GOOD REASONS TO MAKE YOUR OWN!!!
- For almost everything you need to make awesome, organic, natural and clean home-made beauty produccts, Check out Mountain Rose Herbs
- Hand Lotion – recipe
- Cranberry Lip Balm – recipe
GD LISA’S TAKE TWO: Green Holiday Re-purposing & Gift Ideas
- Green Christmas Trees?
- From the Greenist.com – Fake trees are only green in color. Your best bet is to dust off the old axe and go to your local tree farm. Why? Because they grow those trees for that reason. Real trees are sustainable and renewable, unlike the plastic ones that you get in the store.
- If you do have a fake tree, be sure to keep it as long as possible, and when you want to get rid of it, donate it to a local charity or Freecycle.com it.
- If you do use a real tree, look for a tree recycling program to dispose your tree. For instance in Philadelphia there are several city programs where the trees get turning into mulch that is used in parks and community gardens.
- Lights are beautiful, but please at least use timers on them so they are not on night. Dimmers might help reduce the electricity used as well.
- Green Decorating– not only will you be treading more gentling on the planet, but you can have fun with some family and/or friend bonding time.
- Paper chains – rather than purchasing green and red construction paper, make them out of old Christmas wrapping paper. You can use all one print or alternation prints etc.
- Make good old fashion cranberry and popcorn strings. After the holiday, drape them outside on trees or bushes for critters to enjoy.
- From Stylelist.com I saw some sweet paper hearts on a string that you can make
- Use the artwork from last year’s calendar to decorate packages
- Make your own wreath. My daughter-in-law has a wreath making party every year. She buys a bunch of greens and supplies and puts them on tables outside and 3 generations of friends and family create and laughs together. It’s become a great tradition and people bring back last year’s wreath rings to recycle them into this year’s wreath.
- Check out our 13 Ways to Wrap Cheap, Have Fun & Save Trees this Holiday
FEATURED GUEST: Jessica Arinella – Producer of What You Can Do Web & TV Series
What You Can Do Web & TV Series – On their website you can find hundreds of 60 second videos that cover a variety of social issues, with the goal to educate the average, busy person by giving them ideas on what you can do in a minute to make a difference. For instance:
- The Rain Forest Alliance – Adopt an acre of rain forest in someone’s name.
- Toys-on-us – For every fifty fans the “like” What You Can Do
- Global Girl Friend – buy jewelry made by woman in need, who by selling their works in fair trade are surviving.
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)