Well, if you’re lucky like me, you’ll get out there with a couple of small children and have yourself a harvest-y good time.
As you can see from the image above, wee Vivi picked our special big Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin, and there was generally a lot of running around in hay.
Then we took it home and Aunt Jessie, helped us extract all the seeds and carve Mr. Jack . . .
As you can see, he ended up looking a little like an angry bird pumpkin . . .
Despite Mr. Jack’s disposition, we saved his seeds and decided to roast them up. Partially inspired by the wonderful nutritional benefits of these little powerhouses. Because it was such a blustery day (Thanks Pooh), I devised a special spicy recipe to help warm us all up.
Green Diva Meg’s Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe
- fresh pumpkin seeds
- several Tablespoons - 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke per cup of seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder per cup of seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder per cup of seeds
- good sea salt to taste (a couple of good pinches per cup)
- smokey chiptle tobasco sauce to taste
- cayenne pepper to taste (start w/ one good pinch per cup)
- preheat oven to 325
- separate the pulp from the seeds
- rinse the seeds
- lay them out on dish towel to dry - pat them a bit to help them along
- mix other ingredients in a bowl large enough to easily mix in the seeds
- when seeds are good and dry, mix them into bowl and thoroughly cover with other ingredient mixture
- lay them out in a non-stick baking sheet or one lined with parchment baking paper
- bake for about 15 minutes, stir them around every few minutes until they are golden and just starting to brown
- GET CREATIVE and use whatever spices you want! I'm trying curry next time!
Listen to the latest Green Divas Foodie Phile podcast segment…