The voice of the sustainable fashion movement is getting bolder and louder.
As the number of collaborations increases and grows ever stronger, this joining of forces—from fashion companies and organizations through to non-profits—is starting to reveal an exciting tipping point for consumer purchasing habits.
Listen to my Green Divas Eco-Style podcast segment to learn more…
The fashion industry is shifting…actually it’s at the tipping point.
Today’s eco-friendly agendas stretch beyond the branded “organic” price tag by inviting consumers to see the process from manufacturing to purchase. Previously, the textile community focused on organic as the singular point of interest in their collections. That approach has now broadened to eco-fashion, a term that seeks to encompass not only organic practices but also fair trade and sustainability demands as well.
While the fashion industry is a competitive jungle, the lions in this movement (the influencers, designers and environmental experts) are coming together for the good of humankind. It’s a kindred union.
3 good news trends in the world of eco-fashion…
1. Pioneers and supporters of sustainability are now talking with key decision makers, not to them. There’s a new understanding and awareness that’s increasingly exciting to watch and participate in.
2. Designer brands have started to embrace the sustainable, fair trade and organic experts with increasing fervor. They’re introducing the eco fashion movement to their audiences, as part of their core collections. Gone are the “marketable not sellable” special capsule collections of yesteryear.
3. Fair Trade has outgrown its roots as a ‘buzzword’ by becoming common parlance on every level of commerce. It now tells the story of the garment and shows it off as chic, on trend and/or value conscious style. Designers are embracing Fair Trade by creating affordable, fashionable collections that are competitive on the runway.
We’re beyond recognizing the need for change and now need to be the change. It’s a simple message.
Here’s just one reason sustainable fashion is important…
Find eco-fashion near you…
- Click here for Fair Trade retailers
- Use the Green Glam Go app to find sustainable fashion online. (There’s a phone app, too!)
- Consider recycled treads.
Listen to this excellent Green Divas Eco-Style podcast segment featuring Green Diva Bianca Alexander, who talks about how much fun you can have updating your wardrobe with recycled threads. Happy Thrifting!