Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 1.7.12 show
GREEN DIVA LINKS
THE ECO FRIENDLY PRINTER “KNOW YOUR GREEN” QUIZ:
Join the Green Divas and our friends at Eco-Friendly Printer and take the weekly KNOW YOUR GREEN QUIZ. A new prize awarded every week! Go to our Facebook page find the quiz and weigh in with your answer. The quiz will run from Saturday to Saturday. We’ll draw a winner from all the correct answers and announce the winner on our live show on WMTR from 10-11am EST every Saturday.
Congratulations to this week’s winner, Chenoa A..
Next Week’s Quiz Question and LOTS more . . .
NEXT WEEK’S QUESTION:
Quiz #5 for the 1.14.12 show is: What greenest car technology?
b. High mileage gas
Play your answer on the Green Divas facebook page!
Green Dude Scott on Christmas tree Recycling – Recyclingnj.com or call you local municipality or recycling center.
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment - SNiG #14 – Drink Only Fair Trade Tea
What is Fair Trade?
Fair Trade is a socially responsible, market-based standard for products made in developing countries, where working conditions and pay may not be regulated and may be considered unfair or unjust to the workers. It creates better trading conditions, whereby socio-economic and environmental sustainability are a priority and the producers derive a more direct and substantial benefit from their work.
Fair Trade Products
Handcrafts, coffee, sugar, cocoa, tea, bananas, honey, cotton, wine, fresh fruit, chocolate, flowers and gold.
According to the Fairtrade International (aka FLO – the product certification system associated with around 90% of all Fair Trade products sold annually around the world) sales 2010 data report for sales by consumer country and by product category.
- Global sales grew by 27% from 2009 – 2010 to $5.8 billion
- U.S. sales grew 5% to $1.3 billion
- Canada sales grew 6% to $330 million
- UK $1.8 billion (up 40%).
- The biggest growth was reported in the Czech Republic (386%), South Africa (315%), and Australia/New Zealand (258%).
- Gobal sales of fair trade commodities grew: sugar was up 41%, and cocoa was up 153%. Coffee, grew 19%.
- Sales of wine, sports balls, and quinoa each more than doubled. Sales of fruit juice, herbs & spices, bananas and fresh fruit declined.
How to Find Fair Trade Products
- FairTradeUSA.org – they have a nice campaign called Make Every Cup Fair to help raise awareness about fair trade coffee and tea in particular and ask that folks take a pledge to drink only fair trade coffees and teas.
- FairTrade.net – offers more information on certification, producers, products, etc.
GD LISA’S TAKE TWO: New Green Year’s Resolutions & Strategies for Keeping Them!
- Start with adjusting your attitude – Set a mantra that supports your efforts like, “I love being a non-smoker, etc.”
- Eating healthier, lose weight, etc. – Go through your kitchen and get rid of any tempting items that are not on your new diet.
- Prepare the people around you – Tell your family and friends to keep off your back about your new resolution.
- Start slow – and make your goals attainable.
- Check Green Diva Lisa’s latest post for lots more details on how to succeed with any resolutions.
FEATURED GUEST: Debra Duneier, author EcoChi: Designing the Human Experience
Debra is a Fheng Shui Master and LEED certified Interior Designer
- Indoor environment holds about 5 times the amount of pollution as outdoors
- Sorround yourself with green plants indoors, this connects us to nature, while we are stuck inside, and plants are a natural air filter
- Tip for de-cluttering: Everytime you bring one item in, get rid of two! Clutter is not condusive for a peaceful environment.
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!