Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 2.25.12 show
WIN A BASKET OF NATURAL SKINCARE PRODUCTS
To enter the drawing, go to the European Wax Center in Denville and tell them The Green Divas sent you and have a chance to win a wonderful goodie basket. Call 973.933.4005 and make an appointment for a FREE wax treatment for first-time customers. It’s not just about removing hair, it’s about revealing beautiful skin.
“Have you seen Harry?” Look for The European Wax Center of Denville’s Big Red Harry Monster and if you find her you will recieve a prize!
WHY SHOULD WE CARE about…..?
We are asking EVERYONE, what it is that we should care about when it comes to sustainable living and “what we can do?” This week we heard from Jessica Alba:
- Jessica Alba – the Honest Company – Being creative; look around your environment and see how can you have the least impact and how can you reuse and recyle, etc.
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World! Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment: Recycle my old running shoes
Nike Grind Program & Nike Reuse-a-Shoe
Recycles sneakers and athletic shoes to make surfaces for synthetic outdoor courts, synthetic indoor courts, playgrounds, tracks, new sneakers and equipment.
24,249,000 sneakers collected since 1990!
Most sneakers are made from natural and synthetic rubbers and synthetic foam, which is primarily composed of polyurethane and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA). The upper portion is usually mesh or natural or synthetic leather.
Apparently you can do a lot with the rubber and foam from your sneaks. Both rubber and polyurethane can be reclaimed and reused, and manufacturing with reclaimed rubbers and foams is often more energy-efficient and much less expensive than using virgin material.
[derived from earth911.com article]
Soles4Souls is a Nashville-based charity that collects shoes from the warehouses of footwear companies and the closets of people like you. The charity distributes these shoes to people in need, regardless of race, religion, class, or any other criteria. Since 2005, Soles4Souls has delivered over 17 million pairs of new and gently worn shoes. The shoes have been distributed to people in over 127 countries, including Kenya, Thailand, Nepal and the United States.
Sneakers Made From Recycled Materials
Brooks – Green Silence
BioMoGo, the world’s first-ever biodegradable midsole for running shoes
While shoes with traditional Ethylene Vinyl Acetate™ (EVA) midsoles can last up to 1,000 years in a landfill, Brooks shoes with BioMoGo will biodegrade 50 times faster in an active enclosed landfill
75% of the shoe’s materials are post-consumer recycled
Biodegradable insole and collar foams
Laces, gillies, and reinforced webbing are 100% post-consumer recycled
Water-based adhesives are used throughout
All dyes and colorants are non-toxic
Packaging is 100% post-consumer recycled
NewSKY by NewBalance – made from 95% recycled PET (plastic bottles)
GD LISA on how to make a small shift in your life to make a difference –
- Use rechargable batteries
- Use cloth napkins
- Learn about vampire energy and Smart Strips
- Reduce your use of plastic bags at the store
- Learn to stop using plastic bottles
- The Story of stuff – check out the bottled water artical
!!THE OSCARS!! – See all the Green Celebs!
- Leonard DiCaprio – Green celebrity he’s been driving eco cars since 1998!
- Dave Mathews Band – Funds projects such as tree planting etc.
- Cate Blanchet – plans to equip Sydney Theatre Company building with solar panels, rainwater collection systems to make it completely eco-friendly.
- Gwenyth Palthrow and Cameron Diaz – Act Green: “unite to conserve energy and reduce our reliance on oil.”
- Harrison Ford – vice chairman of Conservation International, has a Central American ant named after him, won the Global Environmental Citizen Award in 2002.
- Woody Harrelson – “transforming the world together.” This is a guy that is inspiring, focuses on biodiesel, getting off the grid, organic & overall good green-ness.
- Ed Norton – launched the BP Solar Neighbors Program in 2003 which matches each celebrity purchase of a solar energy home system with a solar installation in a low-income family home in Los Angeles.
- Robert Redford – 30 years on board of Natural Resources Defense Council, founder of Sundance Preserve, winner of 1993 Earth Day award, 1987 United Nations Global 500 award. In April 2007, launches weekly three-hour slot called “The Green”, dedicated entirely to the environment, on his Sundance TV channel.
Some of the lists we found:
Seventeen’s green celebs issue
FEATURED GUEST – Rachel Kaplan, author Urban Homesteading; Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living
We had a delightful chat with Rachel who shows us that no matter where you live there are always things you can do to live more sustainably. In the book, Rachel Kaplan and Ruby Blume, her co-author, have designed a “Bio-regional Quiz” which helps us become aware of what our relationship is with our surroundings. Rachel asks about simple questions about where we live that most people don’t know the answers to. Rachel’s Book Urban Homesteading will teach us that knowing these simple things are very important.
GREEN DIVAS GOOD TO KNOW STUFF
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!
Check out “Green Drinks in Morristown at the Hyatt on March 1st.