GREEN DIVA LINKS
Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 2.11.12 show
THE ECO FRIENDLY PRINTER “KNOW YOUR GREEN” QUIZ
Congratulations to this week’s Eco Friendly Printer “Know Your Green Quiz” winner, Meghan Van Dyk ! Stay tuned to our facebook page for our next give-a-way event.
WIN A BASKET OF NATURAL SKINCARE PRODUCTS
To enter the drawing, go to the European Wax Center in Denville and tell them The Green Divas sent you and have a chance to win a wonderful goodie basket. Call 973.933.4005 and make an appointment for a FREE wax treatment for first-time customers. It’s not just about removing hair, it’s about revealing beautiful skin.
WHY SHOULD WE CARE
What are you most passionate about when it comes to sustainability?
- John Voelcker (Green Car Guy) from www.GreenCarReports.com - “Think hard about how much car you really need vs how much you want.” Consider that 85% of your car’s total footprint is the fuel you burn.” We need to be done with the days when a person buys a 7 passenger vehicle for the few days a year that they might conceivably need it, that screams “rental” to John.
- Kari Whitman (Eco Designer to the stars)- “Education, being green is a thought process.” Recycle, reuse and learn about what you can do to live green and still be chic and stylish.”
- Cherie Corso (G2 Organics)- “Think about what you put on your body.”
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World! Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson. Listen to this week’s 5-min segment: Provide for an Eco-Friendly Funeral in My Will
According to Wikipedia on Green Burials,Each year, 22,500 cemeteries across the United States bury approximately:
30 million board feet (70,000 m³) of hardwoods (caskets)
90,272 tons of steel (caskets)
14,000 tons of steel (vaults)
2,700 tons of copper and bronze (caskets)
1,636,000 tons of reinforced concrete (vaults)
827,060 US gallons (3,130 m³) of embalming fluid, which most commonly includes formaldehyde.
[Compiled from statistics by Casket and Funeral Association of America, Cremation Association of North America, Doric Inc., The Rainforest Action Network, and Mary Woodsen, Pre-Posthumous Society
What is green burial? According to the Green Burial Council, green burial is a way of caring for the dead with minimal environmental impact that furthers legitimate ecological aims such as the conservation of natural resources, reduction of carbon emissions, protection of worker health, and the restoration and/or preservation of habitat.
- There are a number of environmental contaminants that occur from current burial practices – not only from embalming, but the coffins tend to also.
- Traditional burial is creating serious space issues, which ultimately is an environmental concern
- Cremation is slightly better for the environment, but still creates some air and soil pollution
What options are there?
- Non-toxic embalming fluidsare made without formaldehyde and resolve most objections to ground contamination
- No state or province in North America requires routine embalming of bodies
- Natural coffins are made from biodegradable materials that are readily renewable or recycled, and created with greater sustainability in their production process
- All Men are Cremated Equal: My 77 Blind Dates, by our favorite Green Reaper, Elizabeth Fournier
- Eternal Reefs – An Eternal Reefs Memorial Reef is a designed reef of cast concrete that can include the cremated remains of a loved one. These Memorial Reefs create new marine habitats for fish and other forms of sea life
TAKE TWO (And Call GD Lisa in the Morning)
Dr. Love - Dan Wharton Dr. Love shares information about animal behavior and how it reflects, or not, on human relationships. For instance, some animals mate for life but some stray, some are even homosexual. Lions and all large cats live mainly in solitary except when in heat in which they may fornicate as much as 25 times in a day. Once heat is over they “love ‘em and leave ‘em.” Make love not war - Bonobos who are more closely related to humans than chimpanzee’s, have been known to use sex to resolve struggles! 75% of their fornicating is not about reproducing. Humm…that sound familiar? Dr. Love’s new blog answers questions about relationships in the animal world. We love the way he shares information. It’s not only thought provoking but very entertaining manorbeast.tumblr.com. Check out the funny segment with Dr. Love from The Daily Show.
GREEN DIVAS GOOD TO KNOW STUFF:
- For a “love” themed music show that is unlike any other, listen to The Uncle Buggy Show on www.homegrownradionj.org, on Thursdays from 5-8pm EST, with Doug and Lisa and hear music you’ve never heard or rarely. This show plays mostly music from the late ’60s and early ’70′s and it’s artists that weren’t on the radio. Doug mixes in contemporary stuff occasionally. The style is based on the old tradition of hanging out and listening to music for hours and getting to know the musicians and their work. Doug is a wealth of knowledge about that era and genre.
- The Green Divas & the Morristown Office Of Sustainability team up for Earth Day Experience 2012: Stay tuned for the next few months to hear about our plans for the April 22 rockin’ Earth Day Experience in Morristown. You will be able to find information on the Sustainable Morristown website.
- Green Drinks on March 3rd - A social gathering in Morristown to have a fun eco-networking time at the Hyatt in Morristown. Check information at Sustainable Morristown.
- Morris County Sunday Supper Series on March 25th at the Black Horse Restaurant in Mendham. Look on Sustainable Morristown.
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!