GREEN DIVA LINKS Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 1.28.12 show
THE ECO FRIENDLY PRINTER “KNOW YOUR GREEN” QUIZ:
Join the Green Divas and our friends at Eco-Friendly Printer and take the weekly KNOW YOUR GREEN QUIZ. A new prize awarded every week! Go to our Facebook page find the quiz and weigh in with your answer. The quiz will run from Saturday to Saturday. We’ll draw a winner from all the correct answers and announce the winner on our live show on WMTR from 10-11am EST every Saturday.
Congratulations to this week’s winner, Marie DeVenezia!
Play along next week. Check Green Divas facebook page and chime in for a chance to win a green goodie!
WIN A BASKET OF NATURAL SKINCARE PRODUCTS: To enter the drawing, go to the European Wax Center in Denville and tell them The Green Divas sent you and have a chance to win a wonderful goodie basket. Call 973.933.4005 and make an appointment for a FREE wax treatment for first-time customers.
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment – SNiG #17 – Buy Renewable Energy
What is Renewable Energy?
Renewable energy is energy that is generated from naturally replenished resources like sunlight, wind, geothermal heat, tides, even rain.
About 16% of global energy consumption comes from renewables.
What’s the 84% of non-green energy doing?
Choosing green power could make a big difference for the environment because electricity generation is the largest industrial polluter in the country (as we discovered in last week’s Eco Friendly Printer KNOW YOUR GREEN Quiz)
Electricity generation currently produces:
- About two-thirds of the annual U.S. emissions of sulfur dioxide, the main cause of acid rain and very small soot particles. These fine particles are believed to be responsible for the largest share of the 50,000-100,000 deaths caused by air pollution in the United States each year.
- About 30 percent of the nitrogen oxide emissions, which stress forest ecosystems and combine with organic compounds in sunlight to form smog. High smog levels can also trigger heart and respiratory problems and contribute to air pollution deaths.
- About 40 percent of the carbon dioxide emissions. This heat-trapping gas causes global warming, which may lead to increased droughts, flooding, disease, ecosystem disruption, and severe weather.
- Toxic-metal emissions (such as mercury and lead) and nuclear waste.
[union of concerned scientists]
How do you buy renewable / green energy?
- Green Pricing is an optional utility service for customers who want to help expand the production and distribution of renewable energy technologies. With green pricing, you do not have to change your electricity provider. Instead, customers choose to pay a premium on their electricity bill to cover the extra cost of purchasing clean, sustainable energy.
- Green marketing is the sale of green power in competitive markets, where consumers have the option to choose from a variety of suppliers and service offerings, much like they can choose between long-distance telephone carriers. The key difference between green marketing and green pricing is that with green marketing, you are actually switching electricity providers.
- Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs or sometimes “green tags”). A REC represents the environmental attributes or benefits of renewable electricity generation (usually one credit = one kilowatt-hour). RECs can be purchased in almost any quantity and are usually available from someone other than your electricity provider.
[from green-e, the a leading independent consumer protection program for the sale of renewable energy and greenhouse gas reductions in the retail market]
certified Green-e renewable energy finder
Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE)
Energy Tax Rebates (federal)
SPECIAL GREEN DIVA PRODUCT REVIEW SEGMENT – SKINCARE, BEAUTY & HEALTH:
- G2 Organics – We love everything about G2 Organic products that we’ve tried, but this week are waxing poetic about their “Breath of Fresh Air; Herbal Inhalation for cold and allergy sufferers.” It comes in a glass jar and is full of herbs that when inhaled clear the air ways.
- Blissoma – Like G2, there are a lot of beloved products in this brand. Today we talked about the Antioxidant Sprayable Lotion – for moisturizing. We like that it is non-oily
- The Natural Dentist – They sent us several products to try, so we had a chance to pick the flavors that we likes in toothpaste and mouthwashes.
Call in from Green Diva Carly, our you Green Diva Mommy Correspondent:
- Baby Hawk Carrier – This is a tie on carrier that you can wear on your front or back. AND you can send in your own fabric to have one made.
- Lifefactory Glass Baby Bottles – This glass bottle has a silicone sleeve that can go in the dishwasher and a pot of hot water for warming the baby’s milk. Carly has used the same bottles for both her kids, so they last forever too. You can, of course, replace the nipples, but the glass and silicone part is as keeper.
Call in from Green Dude Wayne:
- EveryManJack hair gel was Wayne’s assignment. He said it was easy to use with good hold. It has no dyes, SLS’s or parabens (that’s science talk for stuff we don’t like). And no animals were tested for this product.
FEATURE INTERVIEW: Kerry Coughlin,
Regional Director for Americans at the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC).
Kerry shared why sustainable fishing is good for the fish stock and marine impact. Listen to the show to hear about why we should care to much. A favorite takeaway is to look for the MSC logo when you buy fish so that you know you are buying from a sustainably source and so that you are not contributing to the ravaging of our oceans and marine life.
Look for this blue fish MSC logo when buying fish.
Their site has all kinds of other information including a link to www.fishandkids.org
for games and fun (and education too).
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!