GREEN DIVA LINKS Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 1.21.12 show
THE ECO FRIENDLY PRINTER “KNOW YOUR GREEN” QUIZ:
Join the Green Divas and our friends at Eco-Friendly Printer and take the weekly KNOW YOUR GREEN QUIZ. A new prize awarded every week! Go to our Facebook page find the quiz and weigh in with your answer. The quiz will run from Saturday to Saturday. We’ll draw a winner from all the correct answers and announce the winner on our live show on WMTR from 10-11am EST every Saturday.
Congratulations to this week’s winner, Laureen Marston!
Next Week’s Quiz Question and LOTS more . . .
NEXT WEEK’S QUESTION:
Quiz #6 for the 1.28.12 show is: What is a VOC?
a. Variable Organic Compound
b. Very Oily Compound
c. Volatile Organic Compound
d. None of the Above
Play along next week. Check Green Divas facebook page and chime in for a chance to win a green goodie!
WIN A BASKET OF NATURAL SKINCARE PRODUCTS: To enter the drawing, go to the European Wax Center in Denville and tell them The Green Divas sent you and have a chance to win a wonderful goodie basket. Call 973.933.4005 and make an appointment for a FREE wax treatment for first-time customers.
GUEST GREEN DUDE: Reports from Green Dude Paul Miller, Coordinator for the Town of Morristown Office of Sustainability:
- The Green Divas & the Morristown Office Of Sustainability team up for Earth Day Experience 2012: Stay tuned for the next few months to hear about our plans for a rockin’ Earth Day Experience in Morristown. You will be able to find information on the Sustainable Morristown website.
- Slow Food Winter Market: February 11 (Feb 12, snow date) at Morristown High School. For information go to SlowFoodnNJ.org.
- CommUnity Earth Series: Reel Green film series “Economy of Happiness” at Unity Charter School, 1 Evergreen Place, Morristown, NJ
- NOFA-NJ Winter Conference: Cultivating Change: Growing Organic Food - January 28 & 29 – Princeton University – Friend Center. For more information.
BENJAMIN WALMER: Called into the studio today to let us know a little about what’s going on up in Long Valley, NJ. He’s is a bit of a renaissance man:
GREEN DIVA LISA’S Take-Two REPORT:
GD Lisa explored a local green Meetup.com meeting for Communityearth.net - A New Jersey-Based non-profit organization for everything sustainable. This week was the Eco-Exchange: Food & Nutrition Forum. Check out GD Lisa’s latest post on 8 Ways to Keep Busy, be Healthy & Green Inside this Winter for more details.
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment - SNiG #16 - No New Plastic
The Big Plastic Bummer
According to Susan Freinkel, author of Plastic: a Toxic Love Story, the world consumes over SIX HUNDRED BILLION POUNDS OF PLASTIC ANNUALLY, and it does NOT biodegrade for hundreds of years.
According to the United States International Trade Commission, in 2008, U.S. consumption of imported and domestically produced Polyethylene Retail Carrier Bags was reported to be 102,105,637,000 – [from BagMonster.com]
Have you heard of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
- AKA Pacific Trash Vortex
- Central North Pacific Ocean
- high concentrations of pelagic plastics, chemical sludge, and other debris that have been trapped by the currents of the North Pacific Gyre
- Estimates of size range from 270,000 sq mi to more than 5,800,000 sq mi. (0.41% to 8.1% of the size of the Pacific Ocean)! Some media reports, have it up to TWICE THE SIZE OF THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES! No one really knows the size, because you can’t see large items from a boat. The mass mostly consists of small plastic particles suspended at or just below the surface, making it impossible to detect by aircraft or satellite. [Wikipedia]
Plastic Bottle Plague
In the US alone, an average of 230 plastic bottles PER PERSON go to landfills every year. That’s enough crushed bottles to fill the Rose Bowl EVERY TWO WEEKS! [greensmart.biz]
What Can We Do?
- Do the plastic-free experiment and TRY not to bring any new plastic into your house – trust me, in one week, you’ll have a heightened awareness of just how much plastic is in our world.
- Minimize plastic use by:
- Remembering re-usable bags for shopping
- Buy in bulk
- Re-use what you can
Listen to our interview with Susan Freinkel, author of Plastic: a Toxic Love Story
Listen to the Green Light: Short & Sassy audio vignette on the perils of plastic
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!