Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 11.19.11 show
GREEN DIVA LINKS
The Green Divas on WMTR
INTRODUCING THE ECO FRIENDLY PRINTER “KNOW YOUR GREEN” QUIZ:
Join the Green Divas and our friends at Eco-Friendly Printer and take the KNOW YOUR GREEN quiz. A new prize awarded every week! Go to our Facebook page find the quiz and weigh in with your answer. The quiz will run from Saturday to Saturday. We’ll draw a winner from all the correct answers and announce the winner on our live show on WMTR from 10-11am EST every Saturday.
IN-STUIO GUEST GREEN DUDE: Jack Dell’Accio, CEO of Essentia
Joining us from Montreal, Jack sat in as our guest Green Dude for the day. He told an interesting story about how he got into making healthier, safer mattresses. Like us here at the Green Divas, Jack believes that it is important to make the world a better place.
- Essentia recently introduced baby mattresses. Recent Studies out of New Zealand show that SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrom) is linked to or caused by the chemicals in the infants mattress.
- Essentia has a big Black Friday Sale – really, folks, what better gift to give loved ones, or yourself !
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment - SNiG#10: Dispose of eWaste Properly
We produce 20 – 50 metric tons of e-waste every year ONLY ABOUT 15% OF IT GETS RECYCLED!
What does land in our landfills annually is about the equivalent of tossing 100,000 fully loaded 747s! Can you say YIKES!
So, What is eWaste?
Discarded . . .
- Cell phones
- TVs, DVRs, etc.
- Even refrigerators
One problem is that many electronics are frequently replaced:
- Cell phones every 22 months!
- Computers every 2 years
- Portable music players (ipods, etc.) every 2 – 3 years
- DVD player every 4 – 5 years
- TVs about every 10 years
2% of the average municipal waste stream is eWaste = enough to fill over 60 landfills!
- The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that only 15-20% of e-waste is recycled, the rest go directly into landfills and incinerators – not good.
- 70% of heavy metals in landfills in the US, comes from eWaste
Electronic toxins are a hazard to US and the environment!
Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Beryllium, Cadmium, Chromium, Dioxins, Lead, Mercury, Nickel, PCBs, PVC – the LEAST of these are poisonous, most are carcinogenic and highly toxic to our vital organs.
Of course, the most affected by these toxins, are those that are deconstructing it – too many are men, women and children who work largely unprotected in countries like China, Ghana, India, Nigeria and Pakistan.
Ahhhhhhhh . . .
Responsible Disposal of eWaste!
- Donate used electronics to local charities (such as cell phones to battered women’s shelters). Check out Goodwill Industries which uses their recycling program as a job training program, so its a win, win, win. Cell phones are often recycled to battered women’s organizations. Check with your local phone store, if one doesn’t do it go to the next one, more do than don’t, but some don’t.
- Find an e-cycling program near you – PLEASE try to verify that they DO NOT send their eWaste overseas!
- Get Active – California had the right idea when they passed the Electronic Waste Recycling Act in 2003, which requires consumers to pay a fee for certain types of electronics, and that money is redistributed to recycling companies that are qualified to properly recycle these products. If you aren’t in CA, what is YOUR state doing?
GD LISA’S TAKE TWO: Cooking Oil and Making the “Bobby” from your leftover Turkey dinner
In thinking about this week’s Take Two segment and the Thanksgiving holiday coming up, I landing on information on recycling cooking oil to make fuel.
From the Greenist.com
- People in TX and the South are known to deep fry their turkeys during the Thanksgiving holiday. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. But what to do with all that left over oil, and all the other oil one might use over the year?
- Clean Energy Biofuels has 6 locations with recycling stations. Find depositories near you by searching on earth911. We don’t have one near GD HQ yet, but there is one near my home in Austin.
- This keeps citizens from pouring oil down the drain etc.
- It also saves local utilities lots of time and money on cleanup costs.
- In Merseyside, England they’re collecting cooking oil from locals for residential oil to heat homes.
- In Kilmarnock, Scotland, residents get bus fare in exchange for turning their oil in at the recycling plant.
- So, check out earth911.com and see if you can deliver your thanksgiving cooking oil before putting it down the drain.
In Wilmington, DE Carpiotti’s deli offers Thanksgiving leftovers all year long. A good submarine sandwich starts with great bread. So find some great sub sandwich bread, slather it with Mayo, put on some leftover turkey, stuffing AND cranberry sauce and voila, the best leftover sandwich you’ll ever eat.
Ellen tells us that eating healthy on a budget is possible. She says the key is Beans, Greens and Grains!! Even if you eat conventional vegetables rather than organic, it is still healthier than eating meats. Growing vegetables is much gentler on the earth then growing and processing meat. Eating Vegan can improve your carbon footprint more than getting rid of your car!
Organic can be expensive, and there are alternatives. Check LocalHarvest.org for your local farm stands and CSA’s (Community Supported Agriculture). for responsibly grown vegetables that are still healthy even though they haven’t meet the, sometimes unreasonable, regulations of being “Organic Certified.”
GREEN DIVA’S GOOD TO KNOW STUFF:
Trying to figure out what to say at grace? Please tell us what YOU are grateful for on our Facebook Page and be included in our Gratitude List Post next week. Check out the blog early next week to see what each member of our Green Diva family is thankful for this year. You just might get inspired. Happy Thanksgiving!
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)