The Green Divas on WMTR
GREEN DIVA CORRESPONDENT REPORT: Laima Adamotis Brown – ArtWeeds.com
Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo – The Green Zoo; Seen on the Animal Planet TV show, “The Little Zoo that Could”. This zoo is one of the first zoo’s that was built sustainably from the ground up.
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This fun, new weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment - SNiG#9: Use Coconut Oil to Shine My Shoes
All About Coconut Oil
The good nutritional news
Lauric Acid – properties include: antimicrobial, antibacterial, antioxidant, antifungal, soothing
The Many Reported Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Hair care
- skin care
- stress relief
- maintaining cholesterol levels
- weight loss
- increased immunity
- proper digestion & metabolism
- relief from kidney problems
- heart diseases
- high blood pressure
- dental care
- bone strength
Virgin v. Refined
The virgin variety is pretty much like it sounds – closest to its original, natural form. It comes in a jar and is mostly solid. It melts quickly and happens to be delicious, but not generally used for high-heat cooking.
The refined kind is more processed, but is best used for frying or high-heat cooking. Check wikipedia’s descriptions of the various types of coconut oil
A few of our favorite ways to use coconut oil
- Polish Shoes
- Oil your skin in the shower after washing
- Add oil to your bath
- Use as a personal lubricant
- Use as a cooking oil, make sure you use refined, which is good at high temperatures
- Use on toast instead of butter
- Check out this post that features 80 uses for coconut oil
Check out GD Meg’s post about coconut oil on EatDrinkBetter.com
TAKE TWO – REPURPOSING WITH GD LISA: DIY natural hair dyes from under your sink and in your refrigerator:
- Red highlights: Create a beets and carrots brew and soak for an hour or two.
- Brown highlights: Soak your hair in coffee.
- Gray: Brew up one part dry organic sage and one part water and soak your hair it it for about 40 minutes. It creates a wonderful shine.
- Blonde: In the old days we used to squeeze Lemon juice on our hair and go out in the sun. Try a brew of lemon juice with chamomile tea , then spend some time outside gardening, reading, riding your bike, etc.
GREEN DUDE SCOTT: on a more earth-friendly military
GD Scott talks about what the Military is doing to be more sustainable. The military uses 60-75 million barrels of oil a year! Because of this, the there are plans to get half of the military’s oil from sustainable oils by 2016. The military is already working on producing oil from algae at a cost of $1.00/ gallon! The military has been using solar energy with great success. (look for a detailed post on this topic from GD Scotty soon!)
FEATURED GUEST: Prescott Frost, Organic Rancher & Founder of Prescott Frost, Inc.
Prescott talks about how small farms have evolved or in most cases dissolved during the advent of farm subsidies and how far the local farmers have come from understanding the good health of the land and the food it provides. He touches on how complicated it is to reintroduce organic farming and the practices that will save our land.
All animals on the Prescott Frost Farm are 100% grass fed and grass “finished” – no corn, no antibiotics, no hornomes. He calls his beef “Solar Beef” because they are raised on the power of the sun.
You can also learn about how many more health benefits come from his beef than traditionally grain fed beef. Yes, folks it’s healthier then Salmon.
FUN GREEN DIVA STUFF TO KNOW:
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!