10 Ways to Color Your Hair Naturally

Eco-Style, GD Ticker, Green Divas DIY, Natural Beauty, repurposing, Take Two - RePurposing Green Diva Style 18 6294

10 ways to color your hair naturally image on the green divasI have been highlighting my hair for nearly 20 years. I’ve been doing it so long that it became too blonde and I had to add low-lights. What is wrong with this picture? About a year and a half ago, I decided to stop the madness and go natural. Much to my surprise and delight, I didn’t have much gray. But it did take some getting used to, and while getting used to my image in the mirror, I did fantasize about naturally coloring my hair. I didn’t have the stomach for going back to toxic solutions so I did a little homework and here is what I learned.

green diva lisa's changing hair color

before, during, after

Think about it, changing the color of your hair is an extreme thing to do. So it is difficult to find hair dyes that are not offensive in some way.  You must look for natural hair dyes that contain less or no paraphenlyenediamine or PPA and that are completely free of ammonia. And remember how your hair takes to color change may depend on the kind of hair you have and it’s health.

For these home remedies you may have to repeat these steps and over time you will get the color you want.  The good news is that the results will leave you with healthier hair and you won’t be exposing yourself to harmful chemicals.

4 Ways to Color Your Hair Naturally

For red tones: Make a brew of beet and carrot juice and soak your hair in that for an hour or so, it can bring out the reddish highlights in your hair.

For brown tones: Soak your hair in coffee for 15 minutes.

For gray hair: My older sister has the most beautiful gray/white hair, but she would like to bring out the low-lights.  I found a recipe for boiling one-part dry organic Sage in four-parts water, strain and massage into hair, leave for 40 minutes then rinse.  It should help the hair shine as well.

For blonde tones: I remember putting lemon juice in my hair and hanging out in the sun to get that sun streaked look that we now call highlighting. I just read that you can also mix lemon juice with chamomile tea and massage it into your hair and then head outside.  And of course the more you do it, the more lightness you get.

Here are 6 products  you can purchase

1. Aubrey (about $9 Aubrey Products)
  2. Light Mountain (about $16 amazon.com)
  3. Lagona (about $13 drugstore.com)
  4. Surya Henna (about $7 amazon.com)
  5. Rainbow Henna (about $8 amazon.com)
  6. Herbatint (about $10 amazon.com)

As you can see there are lots of Henna choices.  Henna is a plant from South America that has been used for centuries to dye hair, skin, leather and wool.

FYI: I found a great blog entry about how to apply or remove Henna from your hair by Melinda Brianna Epler.

I love being free from the expense and toxins from coloring my hair.

About the author /

green diva lisa
lisa@thegreendivas.com'

Related Posts

18 Comments

1. embercove@gmail.com'
    Ember November 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm -  Reply

Thank you so much for posting this blog! My mom actually recommended the lemon juice for me because I wanted my old blond highlights back that turned dark blond due to age. It really works, especially in the hot Arizona sun in the summer. :) I’m very excited that more people know about this, I’ll have to let my friends know about the other dyes.

2. info@greenearthbazaar.com'
    Michelle February 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm -  Reply

Thanks for the tips! I stopped using hair color more than three years ago, but lately I’ve been thinking about covering up some of the gray that’s invaded. I’ve been reluctant to use anything out of a box, but am willing to try soaking my hair in coffee. Thanks again. Peace. ;)

• lisa@thegreendivas.com'
      green diva lisa February 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm -  Reply

I am so glad you enjoyed the post. Let me know how it goes with the coffee.
      GD Lisa

3. Jhopson93@gmail.com'
    John Hopson September 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm -  Reply

Great article on natural hair color, I’m 62 and my wife hates to see the grays coming through, I’m more concern we the thiness (or as I call it see through hair style).

I work all over the world and hair color for men is not the easiest to get hold of, and going to a ladies salon cost a fortune if you compare it to the amount of hair I have.

Many thanks once again.

John

• lisa@thegreendivas.com'
      green diva lisa September 18, 2012 at 10:55 am -  Reply

Thanks John for the manly perspective. I love that you call thinning hair “the see through hair style.” May I use it?

4. Chiphe@gmail.com'
    Kaila Swearengen February 17, 2013 at 1:21 pm -  Reply

Thanks for the info, I have added a bookmark.

5. andi_awaludin86@yahoo.co.id'
    Cara Menghilangkan Lemak Diperut September 17, 2013 at 11:21 am -  Reply

What a tremendous job you guys are doing. Thanks

6. IStoleYourHedgehog@hotmail.com'
    Skylar November 20, 2013 at 4:50 pm -  Reply

Hey I’m a 13 year old girl (I made the name a fake name for safety), and I would like to know how to do tints of red naturally or maybe a different way of doing blonde (ombre). I also have not dark but not light brown hair. I’ve dyed my hair: Blonde streaks, brown (again), a dark red, but now it’s all gone.

• bali.pragyaa@gmail.com'
      Pragyaa Bali December 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm -  Reply

Try using sun in it lightens our hair and if u spray it on the areas that a used to be red or blonde they might lighten up

7. Qbdreamer@gmail.com'
    Quinn November 30, 2013 at 12:01 am -  Reply

Tomorrow I am going to try dying my medium brown hair darker using coffee or black tea. Wish me luck!!

8. bali.pragyaa@gmail.com'
    Pragyaa Bali December 24, 2013 at 5:25 pm -  Reply

I have a really dark brown tone hair color and I am trying to lighten it and is there any simple way to lighten it to brunette with out coffee an etc.

9. asiahurst21@gmail.com'
    Anastastasia January 18, 2014 at 2:25 pm -  Reply

Hi, i have naturallly really dark brown almost black hair . an i got my hair chemicaly highlighted an i would like to go back to my natural hair color would the coffee work ?

10. megan@thegreendivas.com'
    Green Diva Meg January 18, 2014 at 5:26 pm -  Reply

@Anastastasia – Green Diva lisa says, “It is worth a try. Just know that it is not permanent and you’d have to repeat the treatment frequently until your natural color grew out.”

11. lewy_darwin2006@hotmail.co.uk'
    jane January 24, 2014 at 12:24 am -  Reply

Hey what would you recommend for a dirty blonde colour ?
    Thanks

*** Trial period expired. Please subscribe to the service. Antispam service cleantalk.org. ***

12. syeam.hossain@gmail.com'
    lucita February 7, 2014 at 8:53 am -  Reply

Hi I have pure black hair and I’m worried thinking that the Color won’t be able to be seen :( do u think my thoughts are right

13. Xoxokjd@live.com'