GD Meg & GD Flo (Florence Block, Exec Dir of US Green Building Council/NJ
Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 10.22.11 show
GREEN DIVA LINKS
The Green Divas on Facebook
The Green Divas on iTunes
The Green Divas on WMTR
GUEST GREEN DIVA CO-HOST: Florence Block (GD Flo) President of US Green Business Council/NJ
Green Building Info & Stats
- 90% of our time is spent indoors
- 72% of pollution comes from buildings
- 42% Carbon Dioxide pollution comes from buildings
- LEED Certification – Leadership Energy & Environmental Design Certification – rating system for how green/sustainable a building is
- In US 140,000 LEED certified; over 3,200 in NJ!
- NJ is second largest user of solar energy; second only to California
SPECIAL GREEN DIVA REPORT: Debra Secunda – the Eat Green Girl
Green City Challenge – Union Square, NY Sunday, October 23. Learn to be Greener by cycling and being quizzed on all things green. Still room for participants, if you are interested call Greg to sign on to be apart of the Challenge @ 973.224.1132
Fun Green Foodie Fact: 1 acre of land can produce 40 lbs. of meat OR 400 lbs. of grains or beans! Eat less meat!
GD Meg will be sitting on a panel @ the Green City Challenge with Debra Secunda Sunday Oct 23 @ 2pm – all about food, “What We Eat on Our Path to Wellness”
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This fun, new weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment - SNiG#7: Buy Organic Cotton Underwear
Environmental Impact of Conventionally Grown Cotton:
- Cotton covers 2.5% of the world’s cultivated land and uses 16-25% of the world’s insecticides, more than any other single major crop.
- Cotton production uses more chemicals per unit area than any other crop
- Chemicals used in the processing of cotton pollute the air and surface waters
- Pesticides used in the production of conventional cotton include orthophosphates such as phorate and methamidophos, endosulfan are highly toxic to farmers
As of 2007, 265,517 bales of organic cotton were produced in 24 countries and worldwide production is growing at a rate of more than 50% per year.
Great organic cotton under garments for men and women – PACT
Awesome organic cotton underwear for women (made in US) – HankyPanky.com
For a list of companies that make organic cotton undies for kids
FEATURED GUEST: Jene Lupoli-Luciani, Author of The Bra Book
What makes a Bra Green?
- Using more sustainable fabrics such as bamboo, organic cotton, and rPET (recycled plastic water bottle fabric)
- Jill Milan – high-end vegan, eco-friendly handbags and fashion items
- Icebreaker – Check out the Baa Code! you can meet the sheep (and farmer) that provided the wool for your specific garment!
- You can recycle your old bras @ breastoasis.org and brarecyling.org
FUN GREEN DIVA STUFF TO KNOW:
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!
Green City Challenge – Race for the cause Oct 23rd in NYC
Monday Oct 24th is National Food Day!