Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 10.15.11 show
GREEN DIVA LINKS
The Green Divas on Facebook
The Green Divas on iTunes
The Green Divas on WMTR
SPECIAL GREEN DUDE REPORT: Greg Barber; Eco Friendly Printer
Green City Challenge – Union Square, NY Learn to be Greener by racing and being quizzed on all things green. They still have room for participants, if you are interested call Greg to sign on to be apart of the Challenge @ 973.224.1132
Check out Steve Ritz’s Vertical Wall of Farming - “Like” Steve Ritz’s Green Bronx Machine FB page
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT:
This fun, new weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World!
Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment - SNiG#6: No More Hand Sanitizer
Forms of Hand Sanitizers: gels, liquids, foams, mists or wipes
Ingredients: chlorhexidine, chlorine, hexachlorophene, iodine, chloroxylenol (PCMX), quaternary ammonium compounds (benzalkonium chloride), triclosan, and active alcohol.
Alcohol based sanitizers are flammable, can irritate the skin, and have been found to be able to enter the bloodstream if significant amount is applied.
- Triclosan – is an antibacterial and antifungal agent found in the environment.
- Triclosan inhibits photosynthesis in diatom algae which are responsible for a large part of the photosynthesis on Earth
- Some studies have shown that triclosan acts as a endocrine inhibitor in certain types of animals, including rats, dolphins and bullfrogs.
- Reports have suggested that triclosan can combine with chlorine in tap water to form chloroform, which the United States Environmental Protection Agency classifies as a probable human carcinogen
Natural Alternatives – Other Than Washing Your Hands!
GD Meg’s Fave – Dr. Bronner’s Organic lavender spray
Recipes to Make Your Own Natural Hand Sanitizer
TAKE TWO: Re purposing with GD Lisa (Idle Ramblings).
There are so many times when we could be turning off our cars that we don’t even think about it, like: while in line for take out food (preferably at P. Terry’s and not Mikey D’s); or on line at the bank; and especially when you are picking kids up at school. That’s a good time to lead by example. Maybe you should ask them to remind you to not idle which would engage them in awareness and participation.
- Idling Cars – 1 gallon of fuel = 20lbs of C02
- Idling with A/C on for 6 seconds is= to the amount of fuel used when starting up
- Cars only need 30 seconds to warm up in order to run at any time of year
- For ways to save on car fuel check out what Click and Clack from Car Talk has to say on – Treehugger.com
Car Talk - Check out Click and Clack’s website for tips, advice, and troubleshooting.
FEATURED GUEST: John Voelcker, Sr. Editor GreenCarReports.com
- Electric Cars – are the greenest way to go out of all the green cars out there. High Costs
- Electric Trucks / Fleet Vehicles – Lowers costs over time for businesses and good for environment.
- Hybrids – Close second to Electric cars for greenest Cars. High Costs
- Biodiesel – Not as popular nor easy to convert your car, but has a lower carbon footprint
How “green” is the Manufacturing of Green Cars?
- It does takes more energy to create batteries for electric/hybrids- MIT Study in non green cars -86% of carbon footprint 18% is extracting fuel 6% is from manufacturing, whereas green cars have a higher manufacturing percentage with a significantly less carbon footprint percentage.
- Renewable materials are now being used in new green cars.
VIA Motors is a new kind of car company. They build electric versions (E-REV) of your favorite trucks and SUV’s.
FUN GREEN DIVA STUFF TO KNOW:
Please do the Green Divas Radio Show Survey! Help us do a better job! It is totally anonymous, safe, quick and FREE! (click link here or go to the banner up above on the right side of the screen)
Green City Challenge – Race for the cause Oct 23rd in NYC