Here are a few of the links that were relevant to the 3.17.12 show
WHY SHOULD WE CARE about…..?
Please join us in being part of the solution! Visit our Why Should We Care Campaign page and please donate (and get some awesome goodies when you do)!
SLEEPING NAKED IS GREEN SEGMENT
This weekly segment is sponsored by Essentia, The Only All Natural Memory Foam Mattress in the World! Every week we will discuss an entry from this hilarious and totally practical book, Sleeping Naked is Green by Vanessa Farquharson.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment: Switch to Recycled Toilet Paper & Paper Towels
The Environmental Impact of Paper Towels
- Generally one-time use
- Aside from trees being used, most brands use bleach in the process, which releases dioxins into the environment – dioxins are bad, causing birth defects and cancer
The Environmental Impact of Toilet Paper
- In a New York Times article about toilet paper and its impact on the environment, RISI an independent market analysis firm in Bedford, Mass., the pulp from one eucalyptus tree, a commonly used tree, produces as many as 1,000 rolls of toilet tissue. Americans use an average of 23.6 rolls per capita a year.
- Our obsession w/ fluffy soft TP is costing our forests: According the same New York Times article,
. . . fluffiness comes at a price: millions of trees harvested in North America and in Latin American countries, including some percentage of trees from rare old-growth forests in Canada. Although toilet tissue can be made at similar cost from recycled material, it is the fiber taken from standing trees that help give it that plush feel, and most large manufacturers rely on them.
- Suck it up and use recycled TP!
- Get recycled paper towels – use less natural resources and energy to produce
- Use washable dish towels instead of paper towels
- Paper Towel v. electric hand dryer – use the hand dryer. it actually uses more energy to produce the towel(s) and people tend to use several at a time
TAKE TWO WITH GD LISA
All about Green Beer – Not the color silly, sustainably produced beer! See GD Lisa’s recent article on sustainable brew
NEW SEGMENT: GETTIN LOCAL WITH THE GREEN DIVAS: WHEREVER YOU ARE
This weekly segment is sponsored by Grassroots section of the Daily Record. Join the conversation about what’s going on in our community – share what’s going on in YOUR community and let’s bring new ideas for sustainable living to all our communities.
Megan van Dyke, Editor of Daily Record’s Grassroots section – This weeks Grassroots section features Sunday Supper Series – All about eating local and where to find restaurants that serve local foods, some even have their own gardens. The next dinner is on March 25th at The Black Horse Inn, in Mendham.
Listen to this week’s 5-min segment on: Local Sustainable Food Systems
FEATURED GUEST – John Voelcker, Sr. Editor GreenCarReports.com
Find the answer to these and other green car driving questions: If you had $15,000 for a used car, what could you get? What about the batteries? What if you wanted to buy an RV? Should you buy a car or truck that uses diesel? What about the blue additive for diesel cars?
GREEN DIVAS GOOD TO KNOW STUFF
Earth Day Experience in Morristown – Come celebrate Earth Day at an Event which is being held in a Eco Parking Garage Check out Sustainablemorristown.org for more information.
Earthgarage.com – Eco Touch Car Wash Give Away ( no hose required!) Ends tomorrow!
FoodShedAlliance.org – an organization dedicated to making sure we have sustainable and locally grown food in northern NJ.
“Like” us on Facebook and mention G2 Organics to get in the running for G2 product give away!